favorite
favorite
hide
unhide
flag

Posted

print

Franciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware - $150 (NW Bakersfield)

Franciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 1 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 2 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 3 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 4 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 5 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 6 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 7 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 8 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 9 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 10 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 11 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 12 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 13 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 14 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 15 thumbnailFranciscan Apple 45 Pieces 1958-1968 Vintage Earthenware 16 thumbnail
condition: like new
make / manufacturer: Franciscan
model name / number: Apple Pattern

more ads by this user

Vintage 45-piece collection of Franciscan Earthenware "Apple" pattern in beautifully preserved condition... offered for the first time since it was purchased in 1958 for a local Kern County family.

Originally purchased in 1958 at Brock's Department Store in downtown Bakersfield, California. Subsequent purchase of cereal bowls made in 1968, as noted. The Brock's store was eventually sold to Gottschalks in 1987.

Includes all 45 pieces in the following inventory:

10 - Dinner plates (10 5/8")
8 - Coupe cereal bowls (6") - manufactured in 1968 with the updated Interpace backstamp
7 - Salad plates (8")
8 - Coffee cups (2 3/4")
8 - Coffee saucers (5 7/8")
4 - Small mugs (2 3/4")

45-piece collection is in impeccable condition. The family notes that the dinnerware service was rarely, if ever used for entertaining... and that the family matriarch kept her treasured dinnerware in high cupboards that were separated from daily use. Entire collection will be available for inspection prior to removal from current location in Northwest Bakersfield. Convenient street parking will be provided during inspection of collection. The dinnerware is safely located within a gated community. A limited amount of packing supplies will be made available but prospective buyers will want to have additional boxes / bubble wrap, etc. for safely transporting the collection; both to personal vehicles and during transfer to a new location.

“Franciscan Earthenware” by Gladding, McBean and Co. / Interpace

Originally founded in 1875, the company later expanded into tableware. In 1932, experimental work in dinnerware began at the Glendale plant in Los Angeles.

In 1934, Gladding, McBean introduced the Franciscan Pottery line of dinnerware, named after the Franciscan friars who established missions throughout California in the 18th and 19th centuries. These cherished family heirlooms are now considered as part of the historic traditions of Southern California throughout the 1940's - 1960's.

In 1937, Gladding, McBean and Co. purchased the Catalina Clay Products Division of Santa Catalina Island Co. The company closed the Catalina plant and moved all molds and equipment to the Glendale plant. In 1940, Gladding, McBean and Co., introduced the hand-painted embossed pattern Franciscan Apple, and in 1941 they followed with the launch of the Desert Rose pattern. Both patterns were among the company's most popular earthenware. The company introduced fine china dinnerware in 1942 and due to World War II, discontinued all of their other art specialty products. By 1950, the company was considered one of the world's largest ceramics manufacturers.

Because of the importation of inexpensive Japanese ceramics, Gladding McBean's tableware sales declined in the post World War II era. This was a factor in Gladding-McBean's decision to seek a suitable buyer for their company. In 1962, the company merged with the Lock Joint Pipe Company, which resulted in the creation of the International Pipe and Ceramics Corporation, eventually shortened to Interpace Corp. in 1968.

With the expansion of the Dinnerware Division in 1958 a new design for the backstamp was used; as seen on the pieces in this collection. At that time, the ink of the stamp was changed from black to brown ink. The collector’s nickname for this mark is known as the “TV” or “TV screen” mark.

$150 / CASH ONLY; no shipping available. Available for local pick-up in NW Bakersfield (near Coffee and Meany). Extra care will be required in safely packing the collection for transfer to new location.

Please forward local contact information so we can confirm interest and arrange for pick-up time by mutual agreement. First-come, first-served. No "holds"

post id: 7735589060

posted:

updated:

best of [?]

loading
reading
writing
saving
searching